People have always been drawn to birds, especially as a representation and sense of freedom. As a
whole, birds represent our eagerness and desire to live a spiritually free and happy life. Some cultures
even valued birds to be a representation of eternal life; as in the connection between heaven and earth.
There are countless types of birds, and each unique representation of a bird in tattoo art symbolizes a
different aspect of what we value as human beings. The following guide takes a closer look at some of the most popular bird tattoos and what they stand for.
Which bird tattoo are you drawn to the most?
- CARDINAL TATTOOS
- Cardinal tattoos derive from German culture. The bright red wings of the cardinal represent a passion
for life, and the cardinal itself represents youth and happiness.
- DOVE TATTOOS
- Doves are seen to be more of a religious in Christianity as they are the typical bird that is released at
weddings. Dove tattoos represent peace and love, and they are also known to value innocence.
- RAVEN TATTOOS
- Ravens are probably the most mysterious of the birds, which is why these tattoos symbolize wisdom and
intelligence. A raven tattoo is one of the most interesting bird tattoos because there is also a more
negative side to what they represent. And that is the mystery of darkness and death. All in all, a raven
tattoo represents magic, secrets, mystery, and intelligence. Whether these meanings are positive or
negative merely depends on the person who has it.
- OWL TATTOOS
- Like the raven, owls represent wisdom and knowledge, but their symbolism is a bit different as they also
represent transition. The owl tattoo has been extremely popular in the Egyptian, Celtic, and Hindu
cultures as they believed that the owl represented protection and was seen to be a guardian of death.
Because of this, the owl was referred to as the “Angel of Death.” Native Americans believed that owls
were the protector of sacred knowledge, and seeing an owl meant that a loved one is being guarded in
the afterlife. Even though the raven tattoo and owl tattoo both generally represent wisdom and
knowledge, they highly differ in what kind of mystery they represent.
- BLACKBIRD TATTOOS
- Blackbird tattoos symbolize potential when it comes to a higher sense of ideals, thoughts and
intelligence. They are very popular in alchemy as alchemists value their higher sense of knowledge when
transitioning into the afterlife. They are a symbol of transformation and higher energy.
- BLUEBIRD TATTOOS
- Bluebirds represent happiness and luck. They more so symbolize the reminder that with luck and good
fortune, there will be prosperity and joy in the near future. This bird tattoo is one of the only birds that
do not have a dark symbolism or meaning.
- EAGLE TATTOOS
- The eagle tattoo represents power and strength. Eagle tattoos are most popular in the American culture
as the bald eagle not only symbolizes this power and strength, but also symbolizes American patriotism
and dedication to their country.
- HAWK TATTOOS
- Hawk tattoos represent honour. Hawks are known for their instinctive ability to hunt their prey,
therefore symbolizing bravery and protection in a state of war.
- PARROT TATTOOS
- Parrots are the colourful, chipper, and most talkative of the bird family. Because they can learn and
speak, a parrot tattoo represents communication and companionship. These tattoos can be done in any
combination of colours to make it even more personalized to fit what you value most.
- SWAN TATTOOS
- Swan tattoos symbolize beauty, elegance, loyalty, and love. In astrology, swans are governed by the
planet Venus, and the astrological meaning of Venus is the planet of beauty. In mythology, a swan
symbolizes a goddess of love.
- SWALLOW TATTOOS
- Swallow tattoos were mostly valued by sailors as a symbol of a safe journey and protection of the soul.
Swallow tattoos represent peace, motherhood, and safety.
- SMALL BIRD TATTOOS
- A tattoo of a small bird represents the inspiration to accomplish what we may think is impossible every
day; in other words, it reminds us to conquer our failures and doubts in order to continue living a free
and unblocked life.
- FLYING BIRD TATTOOS
- A flying bird symbolizes optimism, ease, and family value. Flying bird tattoos most commonly seen in a
set of three birds which derived from the meaning of the number three in numerology, which means to
give joy. The flying bird tattoo was also praised by the Aztecs and symbolized the “power of the gods.”
Their belief was that flying birds were God’s messengers and were sent to bring blessings and spread
positivity and optimism throughout the world.
FINAL THOUGHTS REGARDING BIRD TATTOOS
As a whole, bird tattoos represent physical and spiritual freedom in life, and each type of bird
symbolizes an even deeper and more insightful representation of what it means to honestly live a free
and happy life.
When you’re ready to get your very own, or discuss your options, give the team at Chronic Ink Tattoo a call or drop by one of their conveniently located tattoo shops today!
Interested in Getting your Own Tattoo?
Do you live in or around the Toronto, Markham, Mississauga or Kitsilano Vancouver area? Interested in getting your first, or perhaps 3rd or 5th or 10th tattoo? We’re the place to call! Our team of passionate, talented and professional tattoo artists can help you find the perfect design for your next tattoo. Stop by or reach out today for more info.
Looking for your next Tattoo Idea?
Browse our selection of one of a kinda tattoo designs created by our Chronic Ink artists. Each piece is individual and will only ever be tattooed once.