Tattoos are a timeless and permanent way to express your personality, style or make a bold statement. Your skin makes for an impressive canvas upon which a tattoo artist can draw your masterpiece. But one lesser thought about area for tattoo placement is the hand.
Apart from the actual tattoo design and colors, the second largest consideration is the placement of your new artwork. And the hand is no exception as a potential (yet challenging target). As of late, hand tattoos have been growing in popularity amongst Toronto, Vancouver and Mississauga residents and around the world.
This article will explore both design ideas and placement, providing you with some unique options to get your creative juices flowing.
Hand Tattoo Ideas
Unlike other areas of the body, the hand is a very noticeable part of your body. You shake with it, you greet others with it, and you hold loved ones with it. Because of the constant use of our hands, it is important to choose the right tattoo.
Hand Tattoo Design Ideas for Men
Whether you want to show your fierce side, commemorate family, or give a symbolic gesture, there are many hand tattoos to choose from. Of course, either gender could choose a tattoo of any type, but here are a few that are popular with men:
- Knuckle tattoos – Knuckles can be used to spell words, letter by letter.
- Skull/Face tattoos – the face can be tattooed facing outward on your hand.
- Animal Head – As with faces, the head of the animal can be facing outwards or turned sideways on your hand
- Words – You can place a tattoo on your hands with letters on your knuckles that spell out a related word
Hand Tattoo Design Ideas for Women
As stated before, this list is by no means purely gender specific, but here are some popular designs with women:
- Jewelry tattoos – Tattooed bracelets can wrap around a wrist, hand, and fingers. They can also be attached to a tattooed ring. In fact, some couples choose to tattoo wedding rings instead of using traditional ones.
- Flower Tattoos – a peony or rose can look great on top of your hand
- If you want a more subtle hand tattoo, you can tattoo a phrase along the inside of the index finger or a small picture along the thumb.
- Some women like to tattoo the birthdays or heartbeat patterns of their children.
- A snake can easily adorn a finger.
How to Care for Your Hand Tattoo
After you get your tattoo, there are a few critical steps that must be taken to ensure proper care of your new ink:
- Follow the aftercare provided by your artist per their instruction.
- Change the cover bandage on your tattoo often to keep it clean.
- Take care to observe good hand washing.
- Be prepared to go in for retouches throughout the first year, as some of the ink will be lost during the healing process.
- Understand that this tattoo takes time to heal, like other tattoos. You may need to wrap it up and put gloves on before working during this time.
How Long do Hand Tattoos Last?
If an artist is not expierced with hand tattoos they often begin to look blurry after a few months. This blurring is sometimes referred to as the ink “falling out”.
Retouching can be used to restore color and reduce blur, but the hands do tend to exfoliate a lot, making this a high maintenance tattoo choice.
The team at Chronic Ink and Tattoo, is very experienced with hand tattoos and can help advise you on the best type of hand tattoo, as well as placement to ensure a longer-lasting work of art.
Only get a hand tattoo if:
- You are okay with it being more painful than other tattoos. There are many nerve endings in the hand.
- You accept that multiple retouches could be necessary over time.
- You are in a profession where exposed tattoos are allowed.
Will Hand Tattoos Fade?
Our hands generally get a lot of use during the day. From washing them to exposure to the elements and more. As such, as a hand tattoo is more susceptible to fading over time. That said, simple retouches can make a tattoo look new again.
Where to Get a Hand Tattoo in Toronto, Mississauga or Vancouver?
There are many unique hand tattoos to consider. Art is about expression, and you should pick the tattoo that speaks to you! These tattoos are very popular and a great way to show off your personality.
As always, put thought into your tattoo before you decide on one, as it will be a permanent representation of you!
Looking to get a your hand tattooed?
Drop by or schedule an appointment with the expert team at Chronic Ink and Tattoo in Toronto, Mississauga or Vancouver. Our friendly team of talented artists are highly adept at hand tattoo placements and will make sure the end result is something you’ll be proud of.
378 Yonge Street,
252 Eglinton Ave East,
7381 Kennedy Road,
Upper Canada Mall
17600 Yonge Street,